About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
Updates on our homeschooling family with ten children, a handful of chickens, a couple horses, three bunnies, and six cats. Visit our website at PeacefulHome.net

Friends

Blog Archive

Grocery Spending

Food Only

Oct 2010 - $231.39


Nov 2010 - $998.22


Dec 2010 - $340.29


Jan 2011 - $855.15


Feb 2011 - $203.17



Mar 2011 - $916.52



Monthly Average $590.79


Weekly Average $137.85
Our family's website, PeacefulHome.net, is in the process of changing hosting companies and is currently inactive. Our plan is to move this blog over once construction is complete. Please stay tuned for updates!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Expectations vs. Goals

So often I let my children's behavior frustrate me when I really need to realize that the problem lies in my expectations. While there need to be goals to be reached, along the road to those goals I need to expect my children to act like children.

For example, our goal is for all eight children to sit quietly in church like the little angels they are. However, I need to expect the little ones to fidget, talk during prayers, and loudly point out their drawings. All the while Bryan and I work at training them in proper behavior. If I go into worship with the expectation that they won't be perfect, then I won't be stressed when they meet my expectations.

Goals are the big picture that we're always working toward. Along the way, when things are still a little messy, keep the expectations grounded in reality.

2 comments:

  1. I like your realistic approach! It would be great if there were more parents out there like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good reminder to all parents - we need to be realistic.

    :)
    Becki@BlogMommas

    ReplyDelete