About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
Updates on our homeschooling family with ten children, a handful of chickens, a couple horses, three bunnies, and six cats. Visit our website at PeacefulHome.net

Friends

Blog Archive

Grocery Spending

Food Only

Oct 2010 - $231.39


Nov 2010 - $998.22


Dec 2010 - $340.29


Jan 2011 - $855.15


Feb 2011 - $203.17



Mar 2011 - $916.52



Monthly Average $590.79


Weekly Average $137.85
Our family's website, PeacefulHome.net, is in the process of changing hosting companies and is currently inactive. Our plan is to move this blog over once construction is complete. Please stay tuned for updates!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recipe - Sweet Sausage & Beans

This meal was a snap to throw into the crockpot on a busy day and have ready to go by dinner. Served with some bread I had pulled out of the freezer, it was quite a hit!

Sweet Sausage & Beans

1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
2 cups frozen cut green beans
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 (16 ounce) can baked beans
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard

In a slow cooker, layer carrots, onion, lima beans, green beans, sausage and baked beans. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; pour over beans. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. 4 Servings


Stumpf Notes: My crew doesn't enjoy cooked carrots, so I omitted. I could see putting in carrot puree next time. I used one can of green beans in place of frozen. I doubled this recipe, and it fed our crew nicely with some leftover for lunch.

1 comment:

  1. This is yummy!! I would never have tried this if I hadn't been at your house, but I'm glad I did. Callie wants to know the EXACT kind of sausage that you used. There were no "chewy parts". LOL

    ReplyDelete