About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
Updates on our homeschooling family with ten children, a handful of chickens, a couple horses, three bunnies, and six cats. Visit our website at PeacefulHome.net

Friends

Blog Archive

Grocery Spending

Food Only

Oct 2010 - $231.39


Nov 2010 - $998.22


Dec 2010 - $340.29


Jan 2011 - $855.15


Feb 2011 - $203.17



Mar 2011 - $916.52



Monthly Average $590.79


Weekly Average $137.85
Our family's website, PeacefulHome.net, is in the process of changing hosting companies and is currently inactive. Our plan is to move this blog over once construction is complete. Please stay tuned for updates!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dealing with Midnight Visitors

In our house it seems that four-year-olds always want to come into our bed in the middle of the night. And, since there always seems to be a four-year-old around, that makes for many interrupted nights of sleep. I really love sleep. Haven't gotten much in the past 14 years, so I treasure all the shut-eye I can get!

Since Bryan and I have a queen-sized bed, putting a third party in with us makes things uncomfortably cozy. And those smart little children have figured out that if they go to Dad's side, he'll just scooch over onto my side and keep on snoozing. Meanwhile, I cling to the edge of the bed and dream of falling off skyscrapers.

Our solution is "The Floor Bed." Basically it's a folded quilt on the floor with a pillow and blanket. We explain to the current-four-year-old that if they need to be close to Mommy and Daddy, they can come into our room and crawl in their floor bed to sleep for the rest of the night. Without waking us up! If they get in bed with us, we will take them back to their own bed.

Often I wake up to see a little angel sleeping beside my bed. This might seem indulgent to some, but having experienced 5 previous four-year-old plus the current four-year-old, I know that this phase will pass. The Floor Bed helps it pass with less stress for all.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great strategy -- one that we've used too! It is especially popular when there is a stomach virus going around and a child wants to be near mommmy and her bathroom in the night!! :)

    We currently have a five year old who sometimes crawls in between mommy and daddy -- and honestly I don't mind it too much. Sometimes it does get crowded -- but when you know you are on your last 4 or 5 year old, you treasure it a bit more! Right now my hubby is out of town, so that means my little angel gets to sleep with me every night -- something we both enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet. I can remember many nights waking up to children in my room with us.

    ReplyDelete