About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
Updates on our homeschooling family with ten children, a handful of chickens, a couple horses, three bunnies, and six cats. Visit our website at PeacefulHome.net

Friends

Blog Archive

Grocery Spending

Food Only

Oct 2010 - $231.39


Nov 2010 - $998.22


Dec 2010 - $340.29


Jan 2011 - $855.15


Feb 2011 - $203.17



Mar 2011 - $916.52



Monthly Average $590.79


Weekly Average $137.85
Our family's website, PeacefulHome.net, is in the process of changing hosting companies and is currently inactive. Our plan is to move this blog over once construction is complete. Please stay tuned for updates!

Friday, October 23, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread - Starters & More!

We love a big pan of Amish Friendship Bread as a side for just about any meal. About once a year or so, I get some starter going, nurture it along for a few months, and then I'm really over the whole process.

Instead of searching for people willing to take my extra starter, I freeze it in one cup amounts to use when I don't have a frightening, fermenting baggie in my fridge. These frozen portions can also be used to start a new batch of starter, or you can go at it from scratch.

Here is the basic recipe:
Day 1
Mix 1C milk, 1C sugar, and 1C flour in a one-gallon freezer bag. Most recipes say to leave it on the counter. Every time I've done that I've ended up with a rotting science experiment. I keep mine in the fridge.

Day 2-5
Leave alone.

Day 6
Squish the bag.

Day 7
Feed with 1C milk, 1C sugar, and 1C flour.

Day 8-9
Squish the bag every day.

Day 10
Ready for use. Feed before (less tangy) or after (more tangy) removing amount needed for recipe.

Yeast Starter Version
Day 1
Mix 2.25 teaspoons regular yeast with 2C warm water in a one-gallon baggie. Store in the fridge

Days 2-4
Squish baggie once a day.

Day 5
Feed with Feed with 1C milk, 1C sugar, and 1C flour.

Days 6-9
Squish baggie once a day.

Day 10
Ready for use. Feed before (less tangy) or after (more tangy) removing amount needed for recipe.

These two versions can be used interchangeably in all Friendship Bread recipes. The yeast version gives a more sourdough taste. Sometimes I don't wait until day 10 to start baking. After day 10 you feed the starter every 5th day. I write "feed" on the calendar and then tell the children those are the only days I'm going to feed them! I usually just make something every few days and feed it/freeze extra at that time.

This is one of our favorite ways to use the starter. These are delicious sourdough pancakes that are even better sprinkled with chocolate chips or M&Ms.

Makes 8-10 Pancakes
1C Flour
2 tea. Sugar
2 tea. Baking Powder
1/2 tea. Baking Soda
1/2 tea. Salt
1/3 C Friendship Starter
1 C Milk
1 Egg
2 Tbl. Oil

Mix all together and cook pancakes! Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so happy that we will be making this bread again this coming week. Thank you, too, for replying to my question about making baking mix. Bloggy friends are great! You have a great blog and it is a great resource. Thanks for sharing and mentoring (did you know you were mentoring?) :)

    mychildsview.blogspot.com
    chickhatching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, and how do you bake the bread? I had the recipe years ago, but I seem to remember adding fruit to it. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete