About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
Updates on our homeschooling family with ten children, a handful of chickens, a couple horses, three bunnies, and six cats. Visit our website at PeacefulHome.net

Friends

Blog Archive

Grocery Spending

Food Only

Oct 2010 - $231.39


Nov 2010 - $998.22


Dec 2010 - $340.29


Jan 2011 - $855.15


Feb 2011 - $203.17



Mar 2011 - $916.52



Monthly Average $590.79


Weekly Average $137.85
Our family's website, PeacefulHome.net, is in the process of changing hosting companies and is currently inactive. Our plan is to move this blog over once construction is complete. Please stay tuned for updates!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sears Laundry Soap

As a frugal venture I have made my own laundry soap in the past. Not a success. Our clothes were dingy and gummy. Husband asked me to please stop. However, after Lisa's recent effort, I might be persuaded to make a go of it again.

In the meantime, we buy our soap from the local Sears store. The prices beat name brand soap (especially he soap for front loaders) by a long-shot. We by the super-stain-removing type (I wonder why?) and it does a great job. Since we have soft water, I only use 3/4 of the little cupful for each load.

It frequently goes on sale, too. I recently bought enough to do 240 loads for 12.99. That's $.05 per load, and it will last us about 4 months!

4 comments:

  1. hmm... at .05 a load I am not sure if you can afford to make your own. Even if it is .01 you have to consider we don't have front washing machines and while it is not gumming up our clothes and they seem cleaner than before I think for .04 a load your time and the ease of just scooping out of the box might be a better money saver for you so you can use your efforts on something else that saves you money... :) Sometimes I think if we are being frugal sometimes we can spend more money in the long run. This soap seems cheap and some day when I don't want to make it I am going to go to Sears and get it. That is cheap!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up my Mom always used that Sears laundry detergent, so it brings back memories to hear you mention it!

    I always read with interest the stories of those who make their own laundry detergent and have thought about giving it a try -- but I'm just not there yet!

    For now, I am saving money by switching from liquid Tide HE to Member's Mark (Sam's Club brand). It is about $10 less -- I will have to check how much it is per load.

    As much laundry as we do, this is a good place to save money -- but it costs you a LOT more in the long run if your detergent does not remove stains and leaves your clothes dingy.

    Thanks for sharing what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that really is a good deal! I thought I was getting a deal at Costco, but this even beats that - awesome!

    :)
    Becki@BlogMommas

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Husband asked me to please stop."

    That sounds familiar :)

    There are some things that we just don't compromise on no matter how less expensive the other brand may be - laundry detergent is one of them...the other is deodorant...lol!

    ReplyDelete