About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
Updates on our homeschooling family with ten children, a handful of chickens, a couple horses, three bunnies, and six cats. Visit our website at PeacefulHome.net

Friends

Blog Archive

Grocery Spending

Food Only

Oct 2010 - $231.39


Nov 2010 - $998.22


Dec 2010 - $340.29


Jan 2011 - $855.15


Feb 2011 - $203.17



Mar 2011 - $916.52



Monthly Average $590.79


Weekly Average $137.85
Our family's website, PeacefulHome.net, is in the process of changing hosting companies and is currently inactive. Our plan is to move this blog over once construction is complete. Please stay tuned for updates!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Requested Recipes

Here are four more recipes requested off the past couple Menu Plan Mondays. Enjoy!

Polar Chicken (I have no idea why this is named thus. Use your imagination and come up with something good and post in the comments!)

Chicken Breasts (I used 3)

1 (8 oz.) bottle Catalina salad dressing

1 (16 oz.) can whole cranberry sauce

1 env. onion soup mix

Combine the dressing, cranberry sauce, and onion soup in a bowl and mix well. Arrange the chicken in a shallow baking dish. Spoon the mixture over the chicken. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Serve with rice.

Notes: This was a huge hit for our family. I made it in the pressure cooker. The crockpot would be another possibility. I chopped up the chicken after cooking and we spooned it over our rice.


Upside Down Pizza

2 lbs. ground beef (I skimped here and used .5 lb beef and .5 lb sausage)

1/4 C onion

15 oz. can tomato sauce

1 pkg. spaghetti mix

1 C sour cream

1.5 C mozzarella cheese

1 pkg. crescent rolls

1 T butter

Parmesan cheese
Brown and drain ground beef and onion. Mix in tomato sauce and spaghetti mix. Press into 13 x 9 pan. Spread sour cream on meat. Sprinkle cheese on top of sour cream. Roll crescent rolls over cheese without separating. Melt butter and baste on rolls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more.

Notes: My boys snarfed this up! Ted said that next time I should make one pan for his, one for Caleb, and one for the rest of us! I used jarred spaghetti sauce instead of the tomato sauce and seasoning mix.


Poppy Seed Chicken

2 sleeves Ritz crackers, crushed

1 T poppy seeds

1 stick butter

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 C sour cream

4 chicken breasts, cooked and cut up

Mix together crushed crackers and poppy seeds. Melt butter and mix into cracker mixture. Put half of crumb mixture in the bottom of a 13 x 9 dish. Mix together soup, sour cream, and chicken. Pour over cracker mixture and top with remaining cracker mixture. Bake at 350 got 40 min-1 hour.

Notes: I actually haven't made this yet because I discovered I am out of poppy seeds! Looking forward to it though!


Kidney Bean Casserole

1 lg. can kidney beans

1 lb. hamburger

1 onion, chopped

1 can tomato soup

1/2 tea. oregano

salt & pepper to taste

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

Brown onion and hamburger, drain. Add soup, beans, and spices. Pour into casserole dish. Top with cornbread (prepared according to package directions). Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.

Notes: I omitted the meat and doubled the beans. It was still very well-received. I baked it in a 13 x 9 and the cornbread was a little skimpy. Next time I'll double the mix or make a batch of cornbread from scratch.

1 comment:

  1. I have made that poppyseed chicken recipe before! Loved it! Not sure why I am not making it more often. Anyway, I am going to add the others to my "Stumpf recipe book". :) heehee!

    ReplyDelete