About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
Updates on our homeschooling family with ten children, a handful of chickens, a couple horses, three bunnies, and six cats. Visit our website at PeacefulHome.net

Friends

Blog Archive

Grocery Spending

Food Only

Oct 2010 - $231.39


Nov 2010 - $998.22


Dec 2010 - $340.29


Jan 2011 - $855.15


Feb 2011 - $203.17



Mar 2011 - $916.52



Monthly Average $590.79


Weekly Average $137.85
Our family's website, PeacefulHome.net, is in the process of changing hosting companies and is currently inactive. Our plan is to move this blog over once construction is complete. Please stay tuned for updates!

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Teacher's Day Off

The thought occurred to me a few weeks ago that in my 10 years or so of homeschooling, I had never taken a day off just because I wanted to. Sure we've taken time off when a majority fall ill, guests come over, or because the Spring weather demands a trip to the park. But what about a day off to get things done that had been on my "to-do" list but weren't getting done? Nope, never.

It took me couple weeks to remember to schedule the day off into our week, but I finally put it on the calendar for this past Thursday. I explained to the children that they would be expected to entertain themselves. The oldest four would need to work for 30 minutes on Switched-On-Schoolhouse (so as to not fall too far behind), but otherwise would have a free day. This was met with great joy all around!

I had in mind to use the day to get some sewing projects off my table. I prepared the day before by cutting things out and moving a folding table with my sewing machine into the dining room, along with the ironing board.

After breakfast I got to work. The children were enthusiastic and even took it a step farther to a "Mom's Day Off" by doing some of my other jobs. By the end of the day (which even included a nap for me) I had finished two skirts for Emelie and one for me from Sew What! Skirts, and a purse for Emelie from Sew What! Bags. (Side Note: All this fabric came from my stash. It's like getting things for free!)


Here's the purse with the flap back:

When the day was done, I was jazzed about how much I'd gotten done in one day. Finishing projects gets me pretty pumped up and was just the shot I needed to finish out this semester of school. I'm now planning on taking a "Teacher's Day Off" a couple times a year!

4 comments:

  1. You muust work fast -- You got a lot accomplished! I love that feeling of accomplishment too! Congrats on a great idea and a productive day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great idea. I'm thinking once a quarter! :) I always say that I will work on something after they go to bed, but by then I'm too tired to care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, my name is Kristi Gesink and I work for the Homeschooling Company Alpha Omega Publications. I noticed after reading through your blog that you use our Switched on Schoolhouse curriculum to teach your children at home. We would like to say a big thank you for mentioning our company on your blog and we would appreciate it very much if you would post a link from your blog to our site directly. Here is that address for our site, http://www.aophomeschooling.com. Posting this link on your site will help your readers and family learn more about your great curriculum because they can simply click on the link and learn more!

    If you have any questions please email me at tkgesink@mtcnet.net

    Thanks again and have a blessed Christmas!
    Kristi Gesink
    AOP

    ReplyDelete