Bryan and I have started to hire our children to take care of these things. They don't receive an allowance, so they're all pretty poor. Here are some examples of what the children have done for us lately:
- Match the overflowing sock basket (5¢ a pair)
- Clean out the crayon, marker, pencil drawers (25¢ a drawer)
- Clean out a messy kitchen cupboard ($1)
- Pick up trash in the yard (5¢ a piece)
- Pull weeds in front of the house ($5) a section
- Shred documents ($2 a pile)
We've also had to make the rule that terms of work and payment must be decided on by employer and employee before work has begun. We've had children showing initiative (good thing!) by doing something that didn't needed to be done and expecting to be paid for it (bad thing!).
This has helped Bryan and I feel less overwhelmed and has put some coins in some empty pockets (and as a result, more Zhu Zhu pets in the house)!