Time to get proactive! I've been surfing tonight trying to find some natural treatments that can keep him off the inhaler and steroids (a grumpy, amped-up two year old is never pleasant).
Here are some of the interesting things I've found so far:
- Increase intake of tomatoes, carrots and leafy vegetables
- High consumption of apples may protect against asthma (This one made me laugh because Hunter managed to take a two-bite sample from everyone's Christmas stocking apple!)
- Vitamin C, the major antioxidant present in the lining of the respiratory tract, appears to act immediately to combat inhaled oxidants (I gave Hunter and Brigitta some Emergen-C to drink and noticed reduced coughing in both!)
- Licorice as a potent anti-inflammatory that may have beneficial effect for asthmatics (I also made a tea from anise seed that I made them drink. Brigitta didn't like it, but even she said it helped.)
- Capsaicin, the active (hot) ingredient in hot peppers is a proven potent anti-inflammatory that may have application in asthma (Not sure I can get peppers down them, but I'd like that treatment!)
- Turmeric also has proven anti-inflammatory effects